Famous Quotes

Monday, March 14

MY LITTLE STEPS TO LEARNING ENGLISH

An article on Learning English by Mr. Ariem Cinco
English Language Trainer and Business English Language Assessor

I know you are eager to learn English.  I know you want to speak English fluently. I feel your intense desire to speak the language more confidently.  For you to learn English, I want you to consider the following simple steps I took when I was still learning my Basic English. 

1. You know some English words, right? Your problem is that you do not know or maybe you are not just confident to use them in a sentence. Here is the point: you may know the most difficult words in the dictionary or even the longest word (pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanokoniosis) but it wouldn’t make sense if you do not know how and when to use them in a sentence. What’s the relevance of knowing the word relevant when you do not know it’s relevant in a sentence? Let me just emphasize this to you that one needs to familiarize the correct usage of these words.  You do not need to memorize the meaning of the words in the dictionary.  You need to understand them and if you do, they will just come out naturally.  I suggest that you be familiar with the different parts of speech, their forms and functions. Reading the dictionary for vocabulary enhancement is good but memorizing the words would make you go discombobulating.

2. Use your little English.  Make it sure you constantly use those English words you know in your writing and in your conversations with your friends. This will help you to remember how a word is used in a sentence.  Again, if you want to learn and master English, you need to learn the 3 Es to English Mastery: expose, experience, immerse. Wait, doesn’t immerse begin with an I? Yes, it does. But if you want to learn pronunciation, you should focus not with the letters but the sounds. Constant correct practice makes perfect. 

3.  There is nothing wrong with being a copy-cat if you want to learn English.  In learning English, you do not necessarily have to be genuinely original.  You should learn it from an example.  Imitation (emulation sounds better though) is allowed here.  If you want to sound like an American, listen to Americans speak and imitate them. If you want to sound British, listen to Brits speak and imitate them.  But make it sure you do not make a mixture of both otherwise you will be very confusing.  Stick to one. 

4. Always answer questions in complete sentences.  This will allow you to improve more of your sentence construction skill.  If starting a sentence is a problem, always refer back to the question and use some of the words in the question.  This for me is very practical since this is how I learned my first perfect sentence ever. Take a look. 

Example Question: Why do you want to learn English? 

Example Answer 1: Because I want to improve my English skills. (By the way, this is not a complete sentence rather a dependent clause.)

Better say: I want to learn English because I want to develop and improve my English skills. 

5.  Reading but not necessarily active reading will help you a lot. This actually will expose you to different writing styles and vocabulary which you could later use in your own sentences.  Reading will help you in your sentence construction both written and spoken.  Though sometimes reading is more effective than sleeping pills.  You know what I mean.  If you want to make the most of your reading, then read for 15 to 30 minutes only because reading for a long time can be very tedious.  I advise oral reading to practice your pronunciation.  Also, make it sure that the reading material suits your interest and your ability to understand. 

6.   Have fun.  It is important that you find ways to enjoy learning English.  I understand that it is hard to enjoy when you do not appreciate what you're doing.  For you to appreciate what you are doing, just keep in mind your purpose or goal why you want to learn English.  When you realize how important English skill is, I am sure you will begin to enjoy it.  I want you to engage in fun learning experiences like watching English movies and TV Programs, chatting with friends, and the like.  Studying English should not cause you stress.  Again, have fun.

No comments: