Famous Quotes

Monday, March 14

WHO IS ARIEM CINCO FOR ME?

Unedited blog of Ms. Andria Calubay, an elementary science teacher.
Intensive English Proficiency


1. What I like most about my training in Nouveau Manila?
What I like most about my training in Nouveau Manila is meeting and knowing Sir Ariem. I don’t know him personally but for my months of attending in his classes, I’ve come to know him a little and learned a lot from him. He is not just your ordinary teacher. He is spectacular, remarkable and special!

I make a list of some of his characteristics based on what I know about him…

Look Who’s Talking?
Sir Ariem is an excellent speaker. He has a good command of the language and it is always very fascinating for me whenever he speaks fluently and endlessly with his American accent. He can really make you believe that he is a graduate of Harvard or from Massachusetts or a FILAM (feeling American).
I never heard him speak in tagalog and I wonder how he sounds. He combines his language skill with his different techniques and strategies in teaching that make him a very effective teacher.

Learning English Can Be Fun
He has this ability or super power of teaching in a fun and lively way. He creates a caring, very welcoming and non-intimidating environment in his kingdom. I remember how he lets his new student sing in the class as an initiation… and that’s an SOP! What a great way to start your English classes!
Because of the complexity of the rules and pronunciation, teaching English solely can be very boring but he always makes it easy, exciting and lively by injecting humor and jokes in between his topics. The friendly atmosphere that he created in the classroom motivates his students to learn more, takes an active part in the discussion, willingly shares their ideas, feels free to express themselves in the class without the fear of being embarrassed or being laughed out by others with their mistakes.

His Overwhelming Attention!
What I also like about him is the attention and importance that he gives to his students. He makes it a point that each student is important and deserve attention by giving them equal opportunity to participate specially to those who are hesitant or shy to express themselves. There are no excuses! Whether you like it or not you have to say something, give your opinion on particular topic or tell something about you from the simplest to the most complicated story of your life. Nosy teacher. Isn’t he? And he listens attentively making you feel that he pays attention on what you are saying.

HE HAS P.P
Past participle? No, actually God blessed him with so much PATIENCE AND PASSION in teaching. He almost had beaten the energizer battery because he keeps on going and going…. He can teach form 8:00 am to 5:00 pm continuously with the same enthusiasm, even when he is sick. I never saw him yawn. I think he is not human (hehehe). You can sense his passion and commitment in his profession by constantly showing his effort and desire for his students to learn and become a better English learner. He never shows irritations whenever he was asked a question on a particular topic. He always willingly repeats his explanations even dance, sing, draw and does everything just for his students understand a difficult grammar rule when they fail to get it for the first time.

HE HAS AN ATTITUDE
Despite of the jokes and humor, Sir Ariem has an attitude. He is very strict! That makes him scary at times… Why? Because he sets high expectations for his students and he hold them to those expectation. PRESSURE!!! He just demands a perfect score or at least 95% mastery level on test or an ube ice cream for those who will get the lowest score. Seriously, he does not take things for granted every detail is important. Like, in classes, it will not continue unless you pronounce a specific word correctly, no pass because it means dead in a recitation or taking him the whole afternoon session again explaining prepositions.


HE IS FAR MORE THAN A TEACHER BECAUSE HE IS ALSO A FRIEND
This person was given talents and intelligence that he uses to help others. He always has a word of encouragement or a piece of advice. He generously shares what he knows in almost everything. What is 30 minutes to check a report of one of his student? What is an ample minutes to listen to a family, heart or work related problems of a student plus a very helpful advices from him. Inspiring!
I remember the time he bluntly tells me how weak I am, how unconfident and how bad my attitude is towards the language. It almost burst me into tears. Yeah, sometimes we have to learn in hard ways. Of course I didn’t take it personally, I know he wants me to learn and change for the better. And I thank him for that.

2. As a teacher how did your training benefit you?
I often told myself before that I am poor in English; I want to be fluent, how I wish I could be like others who can speak the language effortlessly and very automatic just like the native speakers do. So, I found Nouveau Manila and enrolled.
I never imagined that the training will be entirely different from what I expected. It helped me professionally and personally. Of course, there are lessons about grammar, pronunciation, speaking and listening but what I learned most is the realization that I have an attitude problem, I have a very weak personality, I lack self confidence, very conscious and I never want to try because of fear. Sir Ariem is correct, English is not my problem, but my attitude towards English is the problem. It is hard to accept those realities but sometimes reality bites and it bites hard.

Through his help, his constant reminders, his sometimes eye-tearing advices and how he puts into action or demonstrate the things he says inspires me to take part in the learning process and change. I am starting now to practice what I learned from him, I am taking now my part how I can share what I know and help my friends on the things that need my help, like checking their reports, assignments or speeches that I don’t usually do before. I am more confident now to express my opinions or thoughts in the things that I believe will be of a great help. I am trying to loosen up a little bit, not minding much on what others would say, stop trying so hard to please everybody and never worry to commit mistakes instead learn from those mistakes.
What I learned in Nouveau, in an English training center was not confined in English or grammar lessons neither on what I said earlier about confidence, because the training also taught or showed me what a great teacher should have. It is indeed inspiring for me to know someone like Sir Ariem. The passion, dedication, commitment, positive attitude and love that he showed toward teaching are actually motivation for me to do the same with my students.
I can give some quotations that I think go well with Sir Ariem.

“A teacher impacts eternity; one never knows when his influence will end.”
“A good teacher tells, a mediocre teacher demonstrates but a great teacher inspires.”
“Thou art a teacher come from God.”

Thank you very much Sir….

No comments: